Friday, 5 October 2012

PGC 2012 Day 3

Okay, I'll admit now that I didn't complete this challenge, although I started it. It is quite difficult to do every single challenge: they are quite involved. I have about 70 points at the moment, which I'm pleased with (ignoring the fact that several people are up around 250 points).

So I thought I'd use this post to discuss the term I created for Day 2's challenge: eco-bushido. A few people have indicated interest in the term (and a few have expressed misgivings), so I would like to explore the idea further.

The term is a portmanteau of the word 'ecological' and the Japanese term 'bushido'. 'Ecological' and its abbreviation 'eco' is a fairly straight-forward concept: this refers to things which account for ecosystems and is a popular environmental buzzword.

'Bushido' (武士道), on the other hand, is a little more complex. Literally meaning 'way of the warrior', it was basically a code of honour followed by Japanese samurai.

That's the basics. From here on it gets a little murky, with many modern interpretations of the original idea, and a period of bastardisation of bushido during World War II. This will need more research.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reading?

So essentially, eco-bushido is a code of ethics and honour to follow when living one's life in an environmentally respectful and harmonious way. I would like to see this idea grow a little. Maybe I'll write a paper on it.

In order to do that, I'll need input from others. Please discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...