Sunday, 21 July 2013

Dark style categories list † goth, punk, rockabilly

Note: I am no longer considering this a 'challenge' more of an encyclopaedic-type resource. The full list can now be found here.


I really love 'challenges' or 'theme post series'. There are a few floating around, such as the Juliet's Lace 30 day Goth Challenge, and the Sophistique Noir Red and Black Week.

After a little bit of thought, I felt like creating one myself. It doesn't really matter if no-one else joins in; after all, I have a very smaller readership. But it gives me a challenge, and will hopefully make me more adventurous (adventurous for an already alternative person, oh dear) in my outfits.

Therefore, I want to make a 'Dark Subcats Challenge'.

Um. What?

Well, there are so many subcategories associated with goth and other dark alternative lifestyles such as punk and rocker that I want to have a go at an outfit for each. They are all very interesting to me, and I think it will make a great challenge to attempt each. Therefore, without further ado, the rules:

  • You can post anything for each of the subcategories so long as it actually has something to do with that category. Obviously. So for example, you could post a picture of accessories, an inspiration picture, an OOTD video, etc.
  • You don't have to do this all in one go, or in order. You may not feel like dressing perky goth today, so go for dark mori girl.
  • That said, you don't have to do all of them if you don't want to. Not really into guro lolita? Fine, I won't force you to do it. I'm not your mother (or my own mother, for that matter).
  • I will do my best to find both the female and male names of a style. Of course, being a female, my bias is towards females, so let me know if I'm missing something!
And the subcategories! If you want me to add any to this list, leave a comment :) Also do so if you think something has been wrongly categorised.

  1. Goth
    1. Ice goth
    2. Ghost goth
    3. Cybergoth
    4. Perky goth
    5. Bubble goth
    6. Pastel goth
    7. Nu goth/Hipster goth/Witch house
    8. Tribal goth
    9. Vampire goth
    10. Oriental goth
    11. Faerie goth
    12. Trad goth
    13. Romantic goth
    14. Hippie goth
    15. Victorian goth (including neo-)
    16. Medieval goth
    17. Halloween goth
    18. Corpgoth 
    19. J-Goth (I feel there are lots of subcategories within this, but no idea what the call them. Help?) 
    20. Erotic/fetish goth
  2. Lolita
    1. Gothic lolita ゴスロリ or Gothic aristocrat
    2. Guro loli
    3. Ero loli 
    4. Punk lolita
  3. Punk
    1. Emo
    2. Anarcho-punk
    3. Crust punk
    4. Garage punk
    5. Glam punk 
    6. Kinderwhore 
    7. Deathrock
  4. Dark mori girl /black forest girl 森ガール or Dark forest boy
  5. Rockabilly
    1. Gothabilly/Hellbilly
    2. Pyschobilly
  6. Gyaru (I'm really not sure about these...)
    1. Rokku gyaru ロック ギャル
    2. Ane gyaru
    3. Sukeban 女番 or Yankii (or Baika/Bosozoku)
    4. Ora Ora Kei
  7. Goth/punk inspired ulzzang
  8. Gothic decora/dark decora/koteosa
  9. Visual kei ヴィジュアル系
  10. Steampunk
  11. Panda poppare 
So many! But you have all the time in the world to complete it. :D

7 comments:

  1. It sounds fun and I love mising styles and have some diversity, I may do a couple of looks from the list, but I don't think I'll be able to complete them all.
    Anyway, it's a great way to gather bloggers of different 'subcats' and learn about the 'subcats' themselves, maybe a new passion or just a few additions to our own styles. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, it's a long list :) I was looking to diversify or rethink the way I dress, but I see your point about gathering different urban tribes together. Maybe this will become a gathering point, who knows...

      Delete
  2. Okay, maybe I won't lose my comment this time! Wow, what a challenge! I don't have nearly enough clothes for this, though :(. I don't know what most of these categories are. When I was a goth teen in the 1990s, we only knew of Trad Goth, Romantic/Victorian/Medieval Goth, and Cyber Goth and Lolita were just beginning. Kinderwhore, grunge and punk were closely related and prevalent, but we did not consider these goth. BUT, I found Alexandriaweb's style guides on her Queens of the Wild Frontier blog, and I'm interested in exploring some of these foreign styles. Her styles guide is here: http://hrhqueenalexandria.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/style%20guides

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, great link, thanks!

      I'm looking forward to try out these styles too. I mean, for example, lolita is REALLY not my thing, but I think having a go once gives you inspiration, especially if you're feeling like you're in a fashion rut.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a fun challenge :3 I might do a couple of styles from the list ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh oh i love this. adding this challenge to the other challenges i have yet to do, lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...