Thursday, 19 September 2013

Nu goth outfit

This is part of a project on dark style subcategories. For the full list, click here.

As a disclaimer, in my mind, pastel goth and nu goth are two different things. Although apparently used interchangeably, I say that you can call a person in a fully black outfit (black hair, clothing, accessories) a nu goth but not a pastel goth. Hence, they are different.

What
Nu goth can be seen as a way of mainstreaming goth. It uses goth symbolism (black, bats, crosses, skulls) with leggings, crop tops and shirts with strange cuts. Occasionally they chuck in flowers. Pants/shorts are often high waisted, and sunglasses (particularly round ones) are quite common.

For more information, check out:



My turn!
Do I look Hipstagram enough?
Nu goth is another one of those subcategories that seems to divide people. Like pastel goth, nu goth is not really goth, or at least, doesn't have the same level of alternative-ness, or perhaps the wrong kind: after all, nu goth is also known as 'hipster goth'.

self made headband | Hot Options jacket | Avocado dress | New Look boots

I really wear these boots too much...

Sometimes I do like nu goth styles. And I have to admit, the mainstreaming of 'goth' means that my style of clothing is more readily available. Okay, so they've changed the idea of 'goth' around to suit themselves... Good for them. Why not try new things and look good doing it? There will always be 'true' goths around to keep the 'spirit' of goth alive, so why begrudge the people whose interests are keeping us supplied with cross necklaces and lots of studs?

9 comments:

  1. The Nu-Goth is 90s Goth and the Pastel-Goth is the tail-end of 90s Goth when Cyber-Goth was becoming more mainstream, and honestly, it was all done way before goth like me (who "became" goth in 1993-1995). I pronounce it all goth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my head, Nu - goth exists like a more casual, more wearable and socially more accepted trend. It's not really goth, but it's at least something for people whose living conditions - work, financial state, lots of travelling, etc... - don't allow them to go all out gothy so I totally accept is as a legit goth subcategory. :)

    And by the way, it really fits you! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Maybe nu goth should known as 'practical goth' instead of 'hipster goth' :D

      Delete
    2. Definitely, I vote for 'practical goth'! :D

      Delete
  3. I've never had much issues with 'goth' being trendy all of a sudden. It makes it much easier to find clothes and accessoires I like :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right. I can buy gothic style chokers in Diva now. :3

      Delete
  4. Quite good outfit. I like it.

    vamppiv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you missed a lot of points. like Nu Goth drawing more on post punk old school goth minimalism, the inclusion of satanic/occult elements, and the fact there's a legit style of music associated with it (witch house) which all puts it firms in "real goth" territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh okay, so witch house is associated with nu goth? I didn't know that.
      Thanks for those points. I'm going to do a revised version of this post, so I'll include that information in there.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...