Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Let's actually answer The Goth Challenge questions!

I'm not going to do a post for each one. Let's bash each one out now!

Day 1 – How did you come across the subculture?
I would say watching The Nightmare Before Christmas when I was 5. I liked fairies and supernatural things and the movie was fun.  By the time I was about 14, goth culture was really taking off again in Australia, with articles in the weekend magazines and goths in movies. 

Day 2 – Share photos and experiences from your Baby Bat days.



Someone caught me as I was creeping about in the dark at a party. The cow
was a prize from winning a party game. Not that I can remember what it was.
I had long hair! Okay, so that jacket I had for years, even though it was a size to big for me, because I loved it so much. Black corduroy with silver buttons :) The necklace I'm wearing there I still have (after all these years!) although the wyvern's tail has broken off... 

Day 3 – When did you come out the Goth closet? (If you didn't then simply discuss the topic)
Hmm... I think I started dressing goth around 14 or 15. My mother hated it. For years I hid my studded cuffs and dog collars, but I wore a lot of black. I got my ears pierced three times, twice without her knowledge, and I successfully hid them for several weeks after each time, once when I was 17, and once when I was 19. Now I'm not really fussed. She complains, but... yeah, okay mum. I don't like the way you dress either :)

Day 4 – Name a stereotype or cliche you can relate to.

I like skulls 

Day 5 – Is there a local Goth band or group in your area?

No :( Not that I know of, anyway.

Day 6 – Hand write your favourite lyric and take a picture.

I'll pass.

Day 7 – Ten of your favourite goth bands. (probably going to have people saying THAT'S NOT GOTH but IDC)


  1. NICK CAVE EVERYTHING (I don't care if you don't think he's goth)
  2. Sisters of Mercy
  3. Voltaire (so he's not a band)
  4. Emilie Autumn and the Bloody Crumpets
  5. The Dresden Dolls
  6. NIN (trololololol)
  7. HIM
  8. Evanescence...
  9. Alice Cooper (again, not a band)
  10. The Cure :)

Day 8 – What's your worst and best experience with non-Goths?
My worst experience is always with my mother. Telling me I look trashy, worried constantly that some guy is going to attack and rape me because of how I dress. Everyone else is cool with it.

Day 9 – What genre of music do you dislike?

Country music. Unfortunately, my boyfriend does like some country, but most of the time we chill to Nick Cave or Shellac, so it's fine.

Day 10 – What do you hate and love about the subculture?

I hate the things I hate in life in general. People desperate to be 'recognised', to 'fit in' and to do so by mocking others and trampling over them. Elitist attitudes to preserve the 'purity' of the subculture, as if we were Pure Bloods or Aryans or something. Eyeball hair bows. Nope, can't do them.

Day 11 – Is Goth a lifestyle for you?

In so far as whether I dress up or dress down, I tend to be in black, I love listening to Nick Cave all the time and I'd rather read Sandman than watch TV (unless David Attenborough is on) :D, goth is a lifestyle for me. I don't wear makeup all the time, to keep my skin relatively healthy, and I don't watch lots of horror movies, but I've been prowling the garden looking for dead rats to keep their skeletons. Problem is, they keep disappearing...

Day 12 – What's your gothic inspiration?

Blogs, mostly. I follow alternative blogs, whether goth, gyaru, J-street, whatever, and constantly seek ideas from them. 

Day 13 – What was your first band t-shirt?

Don't think I've ever had one. They're really only good for sleeping in or wearing while painting, I think. I've never wanted to buy one, anyway. Oh wait, I stole a Pleasure Head Birthday Party shirt off my boyfriend.

Day 14 – What was your best and worst DIY disaster.

Best was, or is, rather, the many pieces of jewellery I have made, including a very industrial looking ankh I wore for a Death (Sandman) cosplay. Worst? I was practicing cutting up t-shirts and basically turned one into a web of holes. Whoops.

Day 15 – Your favourite or most expensive item in your wardrobe.

I don't really have ONE favourite. I love the Pleasure Head Birthday Party shirt, and my black skater dress where the bodice and skirt are held together by cord through eyelets. I love my ripped red skinnies. My favourite boots died an unfortunate death a few years ago, and I haven't been able to satisfactorily replace them. My most expensive item would be the dress I wore to my Year 12 formal. It's a halter neck dress with a black sheer and beaded top layer over a very light pink satin underdress.

Day 16 – What's the most casual you've ever dressed?

You mean like throwing on a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants? I do that occasionally, although I rarely go out dressed like that.

Day 17 – Your favourite Goth brand.

I don't have one. I believe in thrifting. I seem to gather a lot of CKM stuff that way. 

Day 18 – Worst hair experience.

The first time I had my hair cut short. My fringe was kind of straight, and the hair brushed to the sides of my face were too thick. It made my nose look massive and I felt ugly :/ I started growing my hair out again, but that looked bad too, so I plucked up the courage to cut it all off again. Now I cut my own hair, mostly, because I know how I want it to look.

Day 19 – Share beauty advice and take a photo of your make up.

Let's see... drink lots of water and use sunscreen. Don't wear makeup without thinking about your unique face and how to enhance it. For instance, I rarely rock lipstick. My lips are fairly thin, so when I wear lippy, I look like I'm pursing my lips all the time. On the other hand, my eyes are definitely the most attractive part of my face, so I make the look massive with smokey makeup and tonnes of mascara.


Oh hey look, I'm wearing lipstick (yeah, I do that sometimes).
Also, you can see that expensive formal dress.
Day 20 – If you could dye your hair any colour what would it be?
Pastel pink. Sounds weird? Oh well.

Day 21 – What body mod do you have or have you considered?
I have three piercings in my left earlobe and two in my right. I would love to have a helix or industrial piercing. I've also been considering ink for a while.

Day 22 – If you could attend any Goth event what would it be?

Eternal Death Wake would be cool. So would Bats Day at the Fun Park.

Day 23 – Your favourite artist or photographer.




Also, Yuumei.



Her art is truly beautiful, and often very sad.

Day 24 – Name the best websites for Goths.

Gothy blogs! Stripy Tights and Dark Delights and Dark Side of the Net Goth and Halloween Links. Also, Youtube.

Day 25 – Did you ever consider leaving the subculture?

Not really. More about toning it down. Screw that!

Day 26 – Show a photo for every year (or month if you're new) that you've being into Goth.

I don't really have any...

Day 27 – The worst thing you ever did to a newbie.

I've never really made a serious enough acquaintance with a goth to do anything to them.

Day 28 – Do you consider yourself an eldergoth?

Nope. I'm still young, dammit!

Day 29 – What do you think will happen to Goth in the future?
Goth will remain goth whilst branching out and encompassing other things. There will always be trad goths who hate cybergoths who think gothic lolita is weird who reckon nu goths are just hipsters. Except probably everyone will hate paper goths or whatever new style pops up next.

Day 30 – Make a list of blogs you regularly read and link to them.

Just check my massive blogroll in the left hand column of my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, it was interesting reading all your answers stuffed into one post.
    I couldn't make myself answer all these questions, so I skipped this challenge, but after all the colors I've been posting, I wanna do something goth on my blog...:/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...