Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Monthly homework assignment † The dog days of summer



It's pretty bloody cold where I am right now - although the days are actually quiet mild, I work in an uninsulated shed with a tiny space heater. All it's good work is undone when the door is opened by some unwitting outdoor worker who has been gardening all day in the sunshine.

I also leave for work while the stars are still out, some I'm pretty much frozen from dawn to dusk. This all makes it difficult to think of summery things, yet both CorpGoth and The Curious Professor Z have set their monthly homework/reports on hot summer days.

Argh.

I was tempted to say 'screw it, I'm a non-conformist alternative type and I don't need to write about summer' but I decided I'd play along anyway. So.

I've already done a big round up of tips to keeping cool and in one piece over summer here. It's very detailed and I don't think I have anything to add.

But then The Everyday Goth gave me an idea. So here goes: cold drinks for goths in summer!

Alcoholic drinks
Type 'gothic drinks' into Google and you're inundated with pages of alcoholic beverages. Dark Side of the Net has an incredible list of Goth and Horror Cocktails for Halloween that I really want to try out, particularly the Wicked Witch Apple Punch.

The Terrorizer also has a nice selection of cocktail, or, in fact, Cocktails to Die For. I like the sound of Moonlight and Moonrise (I'm a sucker for a fruit cocktail).

Aussies have a penchant for a cold beer in summer, although they are often light and not very gothy. Sparkling mead is best served chilled, so this could be a more suitable gothy drink for hot summer.

Non-alcoholic drinks
Tea is quite popular with many goths, so varieties of ice tea are definitely recommended for goths battling summer heat. Blackberry or blueberry tea is dark in colour, doesn't need milk and tastes great cold.
Coffee, of course can be taken black like a gothic soul, so iced black coffee is certainly on the cards, if that's your thing.
For something a little different, I would recommend a few Asian drinks too: taro milk tea is sweet and a wonderful purple colour, whilst black sesame is... well, black and tastes a bit like sweet peanut butter.

This was just a quick public announcement post in between my work. Although I finish early in the afternoon, when I get home I'm too tired to do anything other than shower, pull on my bat onesie and go to sleep forever.

Still, I'm thinking of doing some posts about winter, for all you Southern Hemisphere kittens out there, and as future reference for those of you who will be in winter a few months down the track. What say you all?

Cheers?

5 comments:

  1. I hate getting up before the sun rises! It isn't actually Winter weather around here during the day, but a bit after 3 it gets cold and I am sure it is freezing in the mornings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I get to see the stars and some lovely sunrises :3

      Delete
  2. Huhh, poor thing; I admit, that I hate this freaking heat, but getting frosted during the day at work sounds way worse...:/
    Anyhow, I sat down to write something up for this theme, but to be honest, I can't come up with anything, that wouldn't remind me of how much I hate this entire season...:/ So go on, I would appreciate a crisp, frosty post about winter...;)

    Goth drinks, however; Wow, that's cool! ^^ I mean, I don't actually think there are typically goth - or any kind of subculture - drinks, but the idea of darkly ornamented cocktails sounds like fun. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is either, but it's fun anyway :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry about that! For the record, Trystan and I didn't consult each other before posting our challenges. *snicker* great minds think alike! BUT. THIS! WAHOO! Thanks for the drinks darling! THANK YOU! :) And thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...