Friday, 8 August 2014

The seasons shift and shift again † Pastel trends

I'll start with a confession: I like to buy my clothing and accessories as cheaply as possible. Mostly that means thrift shopping (I went yesterday and got the best floor length Stevie Nicks style dress :D) but occasionally I go to discount/bargain/variety stores like Target, Daiso, Kmart, Top Dollar or Diva. I like some of the design they have, and I know a few tricks to make lower quality things last for longer.

Any way, I'm signed up to a few newsletters for the cheaper jewellery places, and a few days ago, this popped up in my email:


Pastels. And it suddenly occurred to me that, hey, I'd seen a lot of pastels recently. I went out yesterday to take a squiz at my local shopping centre.

Pastels.

I can see that shops are very clearly phasing out the dark clothing and bringing in pastels. There are still some spikes and studs around, but dark colours have had their time, as far as I can see.

What does this mean? Well aside from the obvious that I am VERY VERY sad and must rely on thrift and party shops more, fashion is changing, again. This is great news for fairy kei, cult party kei, pastel goth, fairy lolita, glitter poppare, aomoji-kei, hime gyaru and the whole host of other styles that love pastels and sweet colours.

For us darker types... It means we must stock up for the impending drought.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! I've been dreading this day for a long time. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stock up! Stock up while you still can~ DDD:

      Delete
  2. Drought, indeed. But at least while they're phasing out the darkness - we get to buy it SUPER CHEAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go survivalist, stocking up dark clothing like cans :3

      Delete
  3. I tend to find most modern fashion doesn't suit me anyway. I am short but dresses are barely long enough for me. And, like you say, the colours aren't great. I usually op shop but I am also addicted to the clothes on HolyClothing.com. I am going to get around to doing a review sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Op shopping has saved me many times, I can testify.

      Delete
  4. It is true that we need to stock up now but it also means that the thrift stores will likely get a large selection of darker items soon when people get tired of the darker trends and give them up to those places, also second hand shopping on auction sites and the like will most likely also see a lot of people selling of darker items :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, noes...not the pastels again! :/ I know, that a lot of people rejected the idea, but I liked the goth inspired trends in mainstream fast fashion stores because they had a lot of simpler, wearable designs suitable for corp goths.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...